Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wiggle and Jiggle


Today was my moment of truth.  After running the half last weekend, and then basically enjoying whatever food I wanted this week, I decided it was time to get focused again on my overall health.  I weighed and measured myself to see where I stood, and I was happy and disappointed at the same time.

Weight wise, I lost 4 lbs since starting to train.  That also means I've lost a total of 9 lbs since this time last year.  Consistency.  I like it.

Inches wise, I barely lost anything.  I lost an inch from my hips and an inch from each thigh, which is definitely great, but not much to brag about.  And I've also noticed that my body is just overall, jiggly.  I know that's probably TMI, but it's true.  I tried on a two-piece swimsuit the other day and shuddered.  Mostly because I'm freakishly pale right now, but also because things that should be more toned are not.

This brings me to today.  My decision to return to weightlifting to build muscle and lose inches, while also running, going to Zumba, and practicing yoga once a week.  I know I need a balance of cardio, strength training, and stretching to be in overall great shape, and running basically took over my life and made cardio my only focus.

So what's my plan?  Well thanks to my friend Liz and her helpful fiance, David, I have new workout buddies to keep me accountable and more knowledge of what to do in the "scary" part of the gym.  (I always avoid the weight area like the plague)  This is the schedule I hope to keep up throughout the week:


Sunday - Lift Legs, Abs, and 30 min of light cardio - ie: elliptical or walking on an incline


Monday - Morning Yoga 


Tuesday - Lift Arms, Abs, and 30 min of light cardio


Wednesday - Run 2-3 miles 


Thursday - Zumba!


Friday - Rest day 


Saturday - Long run (4-6 miles)


The only problem I see right now is the running.  My knee is still very sore from the race.  I ran a mile today and it hurt the entire time.  I plan to substitute walking for running for a few weeks to give it time to heal.

In regards to my eating, I will be sticking to a mostly Paleo/Primal plan.  I love the way it makes me feel, and I definitely notice a difference when I start to slip from it.  I do add in a few non-Paleo foods (Greek yogurt, sweet potatoes, beans, dark chocolate) for some variety and added benefits, but otherwise I still stick to lean meats, eggs, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and fruit.  I'm excited to hear that some of my friends are looking into this plan as well.  I hope they love it as much as I do!

So here's to great health everyone...  The summer sun will be here soon, and I plan to be ready!!

No comments:

Post a Comment