Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Check that one off the bucket list...

I still can't believe it.  I seriously completed my first half marathon!!!  I ran 13.1 miles and I didn't quit.  It was fun, emotional, challenging, thrilling, frustrating, and gratifying all at the same time.  It was everything I hoped it would be and nothing like I planned.

I was incredibly calm when I stood in the corral before the race with 10,000 other hopeful runners.  The sun was just rising, and the cool temperature was perfect.  I wasn't nervous, and that honestly surprised me.  I saw many of my friends before starting, and that helped me feel even better.  I knew we wouldn't be running the same pace, but just knowing they would be out there too gave me a boost.  My parents also stood on the sidelines cheering for me, and I waved excitedly as I crossed over the starting line.

My first mile was amazing and flew by, and before I knew it I was passing the 3, 4, and 5 mile markers.  I was keeping up a 10:30 pace and I felt incredible.  We passed lots of cheering supporters and adorable dogs dressed in St. Patrick's Day get-ups, and the energy was so infectious.  After mile 5 though, we headed into the woods and all became quiet.  I focused on the music on my iPod, and I kept telling myself that soon I would take a little fuel break at the halfway point.  I stayed hydrated with Gatorade at the water stops, and I found some people around me to keep pace with.  But then, a crushing moment happened.

My goal at the beginning had been to finish around 2 hours 30 minutes.  I wasn't basing all my hopes and dreams on it, but I figured it was a realistic goal I could strive for.  Around mile 6 though, the 2:30 pacers ran PAST me.  My world was crushed.  I watched that tall, green sign float farther and farther in front of me, and I realized my goal was slipping away.  I tried to speed up, but the pace felt too uncomfortable.  I knew I couldn't keep up with them for another 7 miles.  After that, my mental state took a nosedive.  I started really doubting my ability to finish, and I felt completely defeated.  For miles 7 and 8, I had to literally repeat over and over again "Just. Keep. Running."  By mile 9, I was crying.  I honestly didn't think I could muster up 4 more miles.  I thought about faking an injury and asking to be picked up by the Rescue Squad.

Luckily, we were running through Fort Story, and a great group of Navy men and women came out to cheer us on.  I absorbed all of that positive energy, and I basically told myself to get it together.  I felt so much better, and I kept running to mile 10.  At that point, I think Karma came back to bite me.  Instead of having to fake an injury, I felt actual excrutiating pain.  My muscle above my left knee turned into a tight knot, and I could actually feel a lump under my skin.  Every step felt like my knee was ripping apart from my leg.  I hobbled over to the side of the road, tried to stretch, and then started limping slowly.  I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, am I going to have to WALK these last 3 miles?"  I continued to crawl along, and after about 7 or 8 minutes, the pain began to subside.  I said a prayer of "thank you" and then began running again.  This time though, I couldn't return to my previous pace.  I felt like I was moving like a snail.  But I knew even slow running was better than walking.  I felt frustrated that my time would be so poor, but I also felt proud that I would be able to run to the finish line.

Right before turning onto the boardwalk for the last straight sprint, I had to make a turn onto the sidewalk.  There, a group of Livestrong volunteers dressed in yellow cheered wildly for us.  They wrote inspiring notes in yellow sidewalk chalk on the ground, and I realized how blessed I was.  I was grateful for my body and my health that brought me through to that moment.  And I thought of my family members who had lost their battle with cancer, but who were no doubt looking down on me.  I cried again for the second time, but this time only joyful tears.  The sun was shining beautifully over the ocean, and the view from the boardwalk was priceless.  Then I heard the best sound ever.  Two of my friends shouted "Go Crystal!" and I spotted them cheering on the sidelines.  Just a little farther down, another group of friends were shouting for me as well, and I found the strength to finish that last small stretch.  I gave it all I had, and I finally (and slowly) crossed the finish line.  I threw my hands up in the air and gave out a huge "Woohoo!"  And then I heard my husband shout my name.  I don't think I've ever been so happy to see him.

I reunited with my friends and family members on the beach, and I couldn't stop smiling.  I was so relieved to be finished, and I was proud that I accomplished what I set out to do.  My only small disappointment was my time.  I finished in 2 hours 44 minutes, which is horribly slow, but now I have a new goal to focus on.  I plan to go back to running shorter races and improving my time.  I love that I have something to keep me motivated!


Check out my post-race photo with my new, snazzy medal!!


No comments:

Post a Comment