Saturday, January 7, 2012

Whole 30 Challenge

The




I'm so ready for this!  Today is Day #1 of the Whole 30 Challenge.  I did this once before and felt amazing, but I didn't stick "exactly" to the plan.  This time I think it will be much easier because my husband is participating with me.  We are also taking part in a healthy 90 day challenge with some friends.  The Whole 30 will be a great way to get us started.


Basically, this plan challenges you to "clean up" what you've been eating and get back to REAL, WHOLESOME food.  No additives.  No preservatives.  No long lists of ingredients.  Just delicious, fresh food.  We will be eating lean meats, fish, seafood, eggs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, some beans, sweet potatoes, and plenty of herbs and spices for flavor.  What we won't be eating are processed foods, grains, dairy, alcohol, or any forms of sugar.  


Is this difficult?  Of course.  It's called a challenge for a reason.  But with proper planning and a bit of willpower, it is achievable.  And I know that with my hubby's support, we can definitely accomplish our goal.  


How does this play into my training?  I know it will make me feel lighter and healthier, but I also know that with less carbs and sugar, I may feel a little tired in the first week or two.  I will make sure that I eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to keep my energy level up, and I also plan to eat some quick fuel choices (Sport Beans or Shot Blox) during my long runs.  Obviously I realize that these don't fit the "plan", but I guess that will be my only cheat.  I'm not going to run 8 miles with a bag of raspberries in my pocket.  Sorry.


I weighed myself this morning as a starting point, but I love that the Whole 30 is not focused on simply weight loss.  They actually encourage you to NOT weigh yourself during the process.  I'm curious to see my weight at the end, but I'm more excited about how this will make me feel.


If you are interested in trying the Whole 30 Challenge yourself, check it out here.



No comments:

Post a Comment