Sunday, January 29, 2012

9 miles! And some goo...

I had a great 9 mile run today.  I increased my stride and forced myself to keep up a quicker pace than usual.  I've really been trying to increase my speed during my short runs, and I wanted to push myself to see what I could do over a long distance.  My legs were SCREAMING during my 9th mile, but I still felt like I had enough energy to keep going.

I've really seen an improvement in my mental capacity lately.  I used to become so frustrated and overwhelmed, and I would let that control how far or fast I would go.  Now, I mentally picture myself competing on the day of the race.  I imagine the finish line in my view, and it really helps me keep going.  I also love seeing my shadow while running on sunny days.  It might sound cheesy, but it's cool to see myself and what my body can really do.  It reminds me that I'm stronger and tougher than I ever thought or imagined.

I also have some awesome friends who let me stop at their house for a water break after 5.5 miles.  While there, I decided to try a GU Energy Gel for the first time.  I was pretty excited because the sales guy at the running store I went to yesterday really talked it up.



O.M.G.  It was incredibly disgusting!  The consistency reminded me of phlegm and mucus.  I already struggle with that feeling sliding down the back of my throat while I run in the cold.  Why on earth would I want to willingly ingest that?!  It might work for some people, but I'm definitely not a fan.  I'll stick to my Sport Beans and ShotBlox, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHA I totally hate GU too, I HATE the consistency of it and makes me want to gag every time I think about it!

    Good job on your run!

    ReplyDelete