Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Quick Fuel

Now that I'm running more often, and for farther distances, I decided I needed to try some quick energy options that I could consume before, during, or after a run.  Most of the time I run first thing after waking up (whether that's at 4am or 9am) and I don't feel like eating breakfast before working out.  I can't, however, run on a completely empty stomach either.  I tried the Jelly Belly Sport Beans because, let's face it, jelly beans just sound fun and delicious.



My verdict?

They have a fruity but slightly odd taste if I eat them before working out, but during or after a run they taste like juicy heaven in my mouth.  I'm sure by that point my body is craving energy from carbs and needed electrolytes, which is why they seem so delightful.  I usually eat just one pack (100 calories, 19g sugar) and that seems to keep the shakiness away that I used to feel.  I've tried the Fruit Punch and Lemon Lime flavors, and so far Lemon Lime is my favorite.


Next up to try: Clif Shot Bloks

2 comments:

  1. I love the orange jelly beans! The watermelon is good too. I've also tried some sort of cube like ones which weren't bad either. Just make sure to read the serving size on those packets, sometimes there's two servings in one of those bags and its awkward to eat only half the bag and keep the rest while you're running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I noticed that on the Clif Shot Bloks that Emily recommended. Those will probably be perfect for my long runs.

    ReplyDelete